I Don’t Want My Other Children Exposed To Substance Use. What Other Aftercare Housing Options Are There?

We work with a special group of moms and dads – Parent Coaches – who, just like you, have been affected by a child’s substance use. They are volunteers who receive special training from the Partnership and our clinical partner in order to help other families through similar struggles. In these blog posts, they answer parents’ most frequent questions.

It is very important to work with any treatment program on an aftercare plan to identify what needs to be in place to promote the best possible outcomes for your child. The clinical team should be able to provide suggestions as to housing options. These may include:

  • Transitional Living programs are most often affiliated with a residential treatment program and include outpatient counseling, housing and oversight.
  • Halfway Houses vary in terms of management oversight and cost, but provide support and housing for people in early recovery. Minimum requirements are typically some amount of recovery time, attendance at 12-step meetings, getting a job or volunteer work during the day, chores at the house and weekly house meetings. Oxford Houses are in various states across the country and may be a consideration.
  • Other family members or friends
  • Rooms for rent
  • Social Services in your county may have housing suggestions
  • Shelters, while an option, should be considered as a last resort as it is very difficult to maintain recovery without stable housing.

Would you like to connect with one of our Specialists for one-on-one help and learn more about Parent Coaching? Email us to get started.