Who Do I Call For Help If I Think My Child Needs Treatment?

We work with a special group of moms and dads – Parent Coaches – who, just like you, have been affected by a child’s substance use. They are volunteers who receive special training from the Partnership and our clinical partner in order to help other families through similar struggles. In these blog posts, they answer parents’ most frequent questions.

If you are looking for help in determining whether or not a loved one is using drugs or alcohol, or if you know they are, a good place to start is with contacting the Partnership’s Parent Helpline. This is a non-crisis support line staffed by bi-lingual parent specialists who can answer questions and provide direction to concerned parents. The Helpline can also connect you to the Partnership’s Parent Coaching service, staffed by volunteers who have personal experience with a loved one’s substance use and specialized training to help families.

If you’re looking specifically for help in finding treatment in your area, a good place to look is the back of your insurance card. It will usually give you a number to call to find your network providers. You can also check with your state drug and alcohol services if your loved one does not have insurance.

If you are looking for help with your own coping skills, some communities have support groups for family members affected by a loved one’s substance use. Often these will be Nar Anon or Al Anon groups and can be found under those headings, but there are also others like SMART Recovery. Sometimes treatment providers will also have a list of groups in your area, and there are also groups online including several Facebook groups. A call to the Partnership Helpline can also help you locate supports in your area.

Would you like to connect with one of our Specialists for one-on-one help and learn more about Parent Coaching? Email us to get started.

Leave a Comment

Please leave a comment below to contribute to the discussion. If you have a specific question, please contact a Parent Specialist, who will provide you with one-on-one help.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *