Kratom Use Increasingly Popular, Addiction Expert Says

kratom

Use of kratom, a psychoactive plant, is becoming increasingly popular despite its potential for addiction, according to an expert at the Hazelden Betty Ford Foundation.

“What we’re seeing is regular use of it, especially in adolescents and young adults,” said Dr. Martin Seppala, Chief Medical Officer. “It fits in with alcohol, marijuana and tobacco. It’s legal, so it’s really easy for kids to get a hold of, and they’ll try it to see what it does to them.”

Kratom is legal in most states, and is available in many convenience stores, gas stations and head shops, USA Today reports.

In September, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) warned consumers not to use kratom, a plant that grows naturally in Southeast Asian countries. The FDA said it is concerned that kratom, which affects the same opioid brain receptors as morphine, appears to have properties that expose people to the risks of addiction, abuse and dependence.

What Are the Current Drug Trends Among Teens and Young Adults?

Drug trends among teens today still include marijuana, opioids and hallucinogens, but also substances like kratom, K2/Spice and others purchased online.

marijuana k2 spice kratom

10 Responses

Leave your Response
    User Picture

Charles simpson

January 3, 2020 at 6:34 PM

I have spinal stenosis, kratom helps me walk my dogs, work, my health has improved since I’ve started taking kratom, but I’m also a responsible user, I know there no high, nothing like alcohol or marijuana, sure the hell ain’t like an opioid,

User Picture

Kei Pas

January 4, 2020 at 1:58 PM

Kratom saves lives. Period. We can agree to disagree, but science has proven it’s safety. The KCPA is pusing through, and Kratom will continue to be legal in most of the country. Banning it is a huge mistake. 15 Million Americans are using Kratom safely.

User Picture

Nathan Couch

December 24, 2019 at 1:19 PM

Kratom has actually saved me from a life long addiction to drugs an alcohol. Within the two years of taking Kratom, I’ve gotten a better job, gotten married and own a house.

I’m a responsible Kratom owner. It is important for people to do correct research on this plant before starting its use; but outright banning it would be putting pain patients and people like me right back in a predicament of being in well.

I think it’s absurd that people treat this with more powerful opioids like suboxone to get them off which takes longer to taper then it would from just doing it with the plant.

It’s all a game from the FDA to get you in their facilities and spend money on more pharmaceuticals.

If something takes money out of their pocket, they will fight back. And I fear rehab facilities are now using the same tactic.

From years of researching this plant, there are actually fewer people that I’ve seen that use it recreationally than there are medicinally.
    People have been saved by this plant.

User Picture

IAMKRATOM

December 24, 2019 at 11:01 AM

KRATOM is THE BEST pain relief I’ve ever had,and I’ve been dealing with chronic pain for about 15 years now and the mornings are the worst,and I don’t sleep very well either,Ive abused almost every kind of opiate painkiller there is trying to help with pain through the years,, and now we finally have Kratom. I’ve been off all painkillers for around 7yrs,I’ve went through cold turkey morphine withdrawal that lasted about 6months,that was before I found Kratom) That was hell. I used to eat SOMA by the handful 10/15 at a time,but I knew it was going to kill me if I didn’t stop,after years of all them pills, I FINALLY told my Dr. the truth about the SOMA so he would cut me off and he did. I’m 43 yrs old been an alcoholic since the age12 when I took my first drink,my LAST DRINK was Jan 13 2016. I found Kratom in 2015 It changed my life, no more pills,no more alcohol,and ALOT LESS PAIN. KRATOM helps me be a father to my son.Kratom gave me my life back.

User Picture

Becky Jamin

December 24, 2019 at 10:34 AM

I’m a 66 year old Great Grandmother who works full time. I’ve been using Kratom, responsibly for over 3 years for pain relief. It works. What’s needed is for all states to adopt and sign on to the Kratom Consumer Protection Act. Keep unscrupulous vendors from selling possibly contaminated products to anyone, keep ut out of gas stations and convenience stores and stop the sales to minors. It’s NOT dangerous, but when it’s marketed as a legal high, it will be purchased by less than responsible people, including minors. Kratom saves lives. If it weren’t for Kratom, I would be bedridden. It has literally saved my life and the lives of millions of other Americans.

User Picture

Charles simpson

December 23, 2019 at 5:14 PM

My name is Charles simpson & I am a responsible kratom user with none of the issues the FDA claim, only better health, I have spinal stenosis, kratom helps me work, walk my dogs, do many things I would have a hard time doing without kratom, education & regulation is what’s needed, not bans, unscrupulous people putting God knows what in it is what’s hurting kratom, a truly good plant