Drug Overdose Killed Michael Jackson

    The Los Angeles County Coroner has ruled that singer Michael Jackson died of a fatal overdose of the anesthetic propofol, reportedly administered by his personal physician, the Los Angeles Times reported Aug. 24.

    An autopsy revealed lethal levels of the drug in Jackson’s body. The singer’s personal physician, Conrad Murray, told police he had been giving Jackson daily doses of propofol via IV for about six weeks to treat insomnia. Murray also gave Jackson a variety of other drugs to help him sleep, including the sedatives lorazepam, midazolam, and valium.

    The night before Jackson died, Murray said he gave Jackson doses of valium, lorazepam, and midazolam, then administered propofol in the morning. The singer died shortly afterwards.

    Authorities have found no evidence that Murray legally obtained propofol to treat Jackson.

    By Partnership Staff
    August 2009

    Published

    August 2009