We’re Merging with Center on Addiction

Center on Addiction - Partnership for Drug-Free Kids

We’ve got some big news.

Partnership for Drug-Free Kids is thrilled to announce that we’re merging with Center on Addiction.

As a Parent Coach with the Partnership and a mother of a son in recovery, I understand the difficult landscape that families face. In addition to feeling shamed, blamed and judged because of the stigma of addiction in our society, families are scared, confused and don’t know where to turn for guidance or help with treatment -– if access to quality treatment is even something available to your son or daughter.

It’s an incredibly painful struggle, and one that no one should have to face alone.

But if there has been a silver lining on my family’s journey, it’s been knowing that there are wonderful, empathetic people dedicated to helping treat addiction as a chronic illness and embrace parents and caregivers as part of the solution in helping their child heal. This is why I’m so excited about and grateful for this new organization, bringing together two complementary forces in our landscape. Together, we will combine our family-centric assets and their unparalleled legacy of research into the devastating impact of addiction, merging two organizations with deep history and commitment to changing the landscape on addiction.

We’re going to do this by continuing to help families find customized support services, by working with healthcare systems to develop practices that work, by advocating for life-saving policy changes, and by changing the national conversation about addiction so that families will no longer feel ashamed to seek the care their child needs and deserves.

I was fortunate to receive the help I needed in our broken system. I can’t explain how much it means to me knowing that we’re going to ensure more families will have the help they need to navigate this struggle, while working to fix the broken system itself. I’m excited for us to come together to transform how our nation addresses addiction.

To learn more about this merger, read the press release >>

20 Responses

Leave your Response
    User Picture

Violet Martinez

November 9, 2019 at 11:23 AM

My son 27, was given meth or bath salts and was paranoid and violent. I called nonemergency police and asked them to take him to Desert inn Hospital where they could give him something to calm him down. I told the officer he was scared and would run if confronted in a harmful manner. The officer went after him. Before I knew it they had k-9 attack him they tased him and broke his collar bone.
    I was not told of the attack on him and was only told he was being arrested. He was taken to Clark County Detention Center where he was taken and slept on concrete floor for days with his injuries.

After approx 3 weeks, He was released on house arrest. When he came home He had a abscess on his upper thigh from the dog bite.
    the staples behind his leg were growing into the skin.
    I took him to ER. they admitted him and did emergency surgery on the abscess. They put him on heavy antibiotics for the infection.
    He was there for 4 days.
    Now he is back in jail for conspiracy charges. He has been diagnosed with schizophrenia. Diagnosed while under the influence of meth???

User Picture

Jean Marinacci

November 8, 2019 at 2:24 AM

My son is 37, and has been struggling with drug abuse for many years. He came home tonight so high, i didn’t recognize him . His eyes were rolling back in his head, and he was making moaning noises. I have never seen him like this. He has no control over his senses. Should I call 911 an ambulance?

User Picture

Josie Feliz

November 8, 2019 at 10:19 AM

Thanks for your message Jean. We have forwarded your message to one of our helpline specialists who can help better answer your question, and she will be reaching out to you shortly. Our Helpline is a good place to start if you’d like to talk to someone about what you’re going through. Feel free to connect with us in whichever manner you choose in the future: https://drugfree.org/helpline
      Thank you. -The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids

User Picture

lorraine negrete

October 6, 2019 at 1:11 PM

Dorothy, your not alone. We just recently got custody of our granddaughter who is 8 years old. Both parents are addicts. She needs lots of caring and love. She sometimes ask questions we don’t have answers to. She crys at night once everyone’s asleep. She misses her mom and dad.

User Picture

DOROTHY

June 8, 2019 at 3:17 PM

We’re another family affected by this epidemic..raising our grandson ,both parents can’t help for months we just got legal custody ,he is a now, 20 months,
    Such a stressful and hard,we read alot more grandparents are doing this more now than ever before, ,they are the innocent ones, who need care and love,!!

User Picture

Sissy

November 3, 2019 at 1:52 AM

That hits home my son started with snorting loratabs then he was buying pills that have ben pressed buy the dealers and they had fentinal in them and guess what herion…I have two Grandbabies and it kills me that my son is someone I don’t know… he got locked up for breaking into a shed to steal … when he was in jail a detective come got him to talk to and he found out that his friend was found dead in a hotel room that was in his name …. I left him in jail and he got clean but I’m praying that he will stay clean … I. Took him and my Grandbabies to the beach this past week and it was so great seeing my baby clear minded … yall pray for my son his name is Ricky

User Picture

Michelle Gutierrez

February 27, 2019 at 8:18 PM

My son is 29. He has been struggling with opioids. For many years he was drug free and then he broke his collar bone and spiralled out after being prescribed larg amounts of pain killers. He has come a long way but now faces sporadic rebounds. At this point in this life he needs a rehabilitative approach to getting back into the working world and emotionally handling the damage he’s caused to his own life. I see the great efforts he puts in trying to stay clean and move forward, but faced with depression and a lack of knowing how to successfully move forward. Can you please help.

User Picture

Josie Feliz

February 28, 2019 at 1:59 PM

Thanks for your message Michelle. We have forwarded your message to one of our helpline specialists who can help better answer your question, and she will be reaching out to you shortly. Our Helpline is a good place to start if you’d like to talk to someone about what you’re going through. Feel free to connect with us in whichever manner you choose in the future: https://drugfree.org/helpline
      Thank you. -The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids