~ Virtual Backpack Equips Parents with Free Resources and Tools to
Help Prepare Kids and Teens to Go Back To School ~
New York, NY, August 18, 2015 – The Partnership for Drug-Free Kids, a national nonprofit working to reduce substance abuse among adolescents by supporting families and engaging with teens, today announced a “Back-to-School Survival Guide” for parents and families. The collection of free resources is now available online and serves as a virtual backpack to help parents prepare both themselves and their kids this back-to-school season. The guide will help parents better equip their children during the transition and features tips and tools for talking, listening and improving overall communication between parents and kids.
“So many of us at the Partnership are parents and we know what a stressful and trying time the back-to-school season can be. That’s why we are so excited to offer these helpful tips and tools to make this time go just a bit smoother for families,” said Marcia Lee Taylor, President and CEO of the Partnership for Drug-Free Kids. “Whether it’s preparing school lunches, managing a family calendar bursting with activities or having important conversations with your kids about not using drugs and alcohol – it’s all important – and parents are juggling it all at the same time.”
Added Taylor, “Beginning a new school year brings up new fears – and not just for students. Parents are often nervous and unsure of how to talk to their teens about drugs and alcohol making this time critical for laying the foundation for good communication with your child. This practical resource is just one example of how we’re helping families find answers this fall and throughout the school year.”
Among the resources included in the “Back-to-School Survival Guide” are:
- Advice on how to prevent drug use at every age and how to help kids transition – from preschool to adulthood
- Charts, drug guides and apps to help parents learn about the drugs that are in their teen’s world
- Top 10 Back-to-School Tips from Partnership Moms
- A listening skills quiz for parents
- Tips on how to have meaningful productive, conversations with your teen about marijuana
- What parents can do to help end teen medicine abuse
- A contract parents can sign with their kids to establish rules about substance use
To learn more about the “Back-To-School Survival Guide,” please visit https://www.drugfree.org/back-school-survival-guide-parents.
# # # #