For over 30 years, we have been the forerunner in providing comprehensive resources on substance use and addiction for parents and families in need. From identifying risk factors and intervening with early use to navigating the treatment system, we help families find answers and get help for their child.
Our commitment to families who are struggling with a child’s substance use is second-to-none:
– Through the growth of our national Parent Helpline (1-855-DRUGFREE) along with a new, online chat feature, we have connected more than 10,000 families to master’s level counselors who have helped them develop a plan to address their child’s substance use. Unlike traditional helplines, which are typically crisis-based, once parents speak with one of our bi-lingual counselors, they work with a trained parent coach for five sessions and receive one-on-one guidance that is personalized for their family’s individual needs.
– Our national network of parent coaches, with more than 200 volunteers, makes up one of the most unique, compassionate and customizable programs available to families –100 percent free of charge. We connect parents to others who have “been there” and can help them learn how to love their child through a health crisis, while underscoring that “tough love” and “rock bottom” are not the only viable options. Our coaches hold a parent’s hand while they learn new skills to help themselves and their children. This is the only free program in the world that offers this service.
– The Partnership has an active network of nearly 180,000 families, and through our website – drugfree.org – we provide 5 million families per year with the latest, cutting-edge scientific information distilled into actionable tips and tools to help them understand the disease of addiction, be better able to navigate the treatment system and get their child to accept help.
– We continue to work tirelessly in Washington, DC and through grassroots efforts, advocating for better policy solutions to protect the rights of parents and families. We have advocated for addiction reform, including the speedy passage of the Comprehensive Addiction and Recovery Act (CARA) and the necessary funding for prevention, treatment and recovery services. We have brought forth initiatives demanding insurance coverage for addiction treatment and securing families’ rights under the Parity Act.
– In creating all of our tools and resources, we utilize evidence-based concepts such as Community Reinforcement and Family Training (CRAFT) and motivational interviewing to help parents obtain the best possible outcomes for getting their child into treatment and on the path to recovery.
– Working with private sector partners like Google and Facebook, we help reach parents where they are, as they actively search for help online.
– For more than three decades, we have conducted the longest-running, single-issue public education campaign in history and have created some of the most iconic, proven-effective public service advertising campaigns (PSAs) in the country. Our work has been recognized with prestigious honors from the advertising industry, including the Effie awards for effectiveness in communications marketing. All of our PSAs are created on an all-volunteer, pro-bono model. The creative development and production is donated by the advertising and production communities and all messages run in donated media time and space. Additionally, performers from the Screen Actors Guild-American Federation of Television and Radio Artists donate their talent.