Several States Have Laws Allowing Involuntary Addiction Treatment

A Kentucky law allows parents to petition the court to order involuntary drug treatment for their adult children, USA Today reports. Other concerned people may also file a petition under Casey’s Law.

Ohio has a similar law, which was enacted last year, the newspaper notes.

Kentucky’s law, which was enacted in 2004, is named for Casey Wethington, who died of a heroin overdose at the age of 23. His mother initiated the law, which is modeled after a similar measure in Florida.

Casey’s Law requires a petition showing the person is a danger to themselves or others, a court examination, and a medical evaluation by two health professionals, including a doctor.

The treatment options available under the law can range from detoxification to intensive treatment through recovery. The person seeking the involuntary treatment must pay all costs incurred in the process, as well as all cost of treatment.

37 Responses

Leave your Response
    User Picture


    January 11, 2018 at 9:50 PM

    Does Casey’s law apply in the state of Nevada?

    User Picture

    Rip Mullinax

    September 4, 2017 at 4:40 PM

    Does Casey’s law apply in the state of Alabama?

    User Picture

    Sarah Anguiano

    July 7, 2017 at 3:42 AM

    My 17 year old son is addicted to xanex, weed and alcohol…and god only knows what else…i live in Humtington Beach, California…does the law prohibite me to sending him against his will to a facilitated rehab?

Leave a Comment

Please leave a comment below to contribute to the discussion. If you have a specific question, please contact a Parent Specialist, who will provide you with one-on-one help.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *